~ Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo-Friendly
I try–Lord knows I try–to eat well. I don’t count calories or cut certain food groups out of my diet. But I do eat mindfully. Most of the time, I eat pretty clean, filling my plate with quality sources of protein, lots of veggies and fruits, and some dairy and grains. For me, balance is key. It has to feel like I’m in control of what I eat, not that I’m constantly having to sacrifice flavor for function. When it works that way, I never feel deprived, and I never go hungry. I also allow myself to eat food purely for enjoyment sometimes–ice cream, pizza, wine. . . .
When I’m training, I try to eat a little more consciously, knowing that what I eat today will affect how well my efforts go on the trail or in the gym tomorrow. These crackers are one of my go-to snacks. No empty calories here, just plenty of protein and beneficial fats and loads of flavor.
I’ve made these lots of different ways, with various seasonings, but I think this combo of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper just might be my favorite. I hope you like it too.
Sesame Almond Crackers with Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper
• 2 cups almond flour
• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
• ¾ teaspoon sea salt plus additional for sprinkling
• ½ – 1 teaspoon cracked pepper (according to preference)
• 1 egg white
• 1 tablespoons cold water
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• ½ teaspoon sesame oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together almond flour, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together egg white, water, olive oil, and sesame oil.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated. Divide the dough in half.
5. Place one half of the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll as thin as possible (1/8” is fine).
6. Remove top sheet of parchment and transfer bottom sheet, with dough on it, to baking sheet.
7. Use a pastry wheel, pizza cutter, or paring knife to cut the dough into desired-size squares.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, until just golden. Turn off oven and let crackers remain in oven until golden brown, about 5 more minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheet and store in an air-tight container.